
Having successfully triumphed in its bid to secure a later date for
the 2015 general elections originally scheduled for February 14 and 28
respectively, it has emerged that the presidency’s next move is strategising on how to show Chairman of the Independent National Electoral Commission the door, before the March 28 and April Election
President Jonathan and his closest associates it was gathered have been desperate to postpone the elections to enable them re-strategize in the face of
imminent pointers that Mr. Jonathan and his party, the PDP were on the
verge of losing the election to the opposition APC Presidential
candidate, Muhammadu Buhari with a wide margin should the
election proceed as planned under Jega who had reportedly repeatedly
turned down several invitations to go and see President Jonathan at Aso
Rock.
Now that INEC has officially announced the postponement of
the elections by six week, Mr. Jonathan and his associates next move is a carfully mapped out plan intensify their plot to plant an interim government after successfully removing Mr. Jega as INEC chairman.
On Thursday after the Council of State meeting, a group led by South-South leader and Jonathan’s die hard loyalist, Chief Edwin Clark has.The
group under the aegis of Southern Peoples Assembly has hinged their
demand on security situation in the country, and un concluded PVC
distribution especially in the South.
Another group had accused the INEC Chairman of working with some Northern elders to remove Jonathan and Install Buhari.
Ashiwaju.org
had earlier reported that the signal for the clark led group to
release the dossier on Jega’s resignation was transmitted by associates
of President Goodluck Jonathan right inside the Council of State meeting
on Thursday after it had become apparent during his presentation that
the Political Sciennce Professor and former Chairman of the Academic
Staff Union of Universities was not inclined to a poll shift.
Jega
was quoted to have told the council that the commission was ready for
the conduct of the election but the military chiefs were quoted to have
said they could not guarantee the security of electoral officers,
materials and the electorate should the commission go ahead with the
earlier schedule.
Same Thursday, Jonathan’s supporters under the
aegis of the Southern Nigeria Peoples Assembly led by Ijaw leader and
ex-Minister of Information, Chief Edwin Clark, called for the
postponement of the polls and Jega’s resignation.
Despite calls
for his resignation by some supporters of President Goodluck Jinathan,
Jega had during his press conference Yesterday nigh said he would not
resign.
He said, “I will not resign because my conscience does
not say so. I have never met with anyone on how one candidate could win
and the other could lose. If there are legitimate reasons for me to
resign, I would leave. “jega had told newsmen.
However our
reliable presidency source has told us that if Jega refuse to resign,
the presidency might just take the bull by the horn and sack Jega who is
seen as trying to compromise the polls against GEJ for buhari to
emerge.
Another very reliable source told a Journalist this
morning that a political science professor from Ondo State will be the
INEC boss that would be appointed to take over from Jega in order to
conduct the election.
The Professor is Professor Mimiko, the elder brother to the Governor of Ondo State, Olusegun Mimiko.
With
six more weeks for more political schemings and rigmaroles that creates
more uncertainty of what lies in it for Nigerians, the country can only
look foward to what unfolds ahead of us.
